Friday, January 8, 2010

So this is what I want?..

So after 4 days of looking back on MMOs what have I learned?

To be honest I don’t know if I have an answer to that. I know I like games that offer some form of Player versus Player; however I don’t know if I like that being the focus of the entire game. I enjoy voice acting from NPCs and quest logs that are filled with entertaining lore but I don’t like quests that are chores. I prefer quests that are truly epic, that take more than five minutes to complete and require some thought and work. I despise the yellow ! above the NPC’s names now.

I want the world around me to change in a meaningful way like phasing. I want an entertaining tutorial that provides a solid foundation for how the game is going to be played and a look at what the end game will really be like so I can better understand if this is really the class I want to play.

I want grouping to be the first choice of every person playing and solo content to be something you do when you don’t have enough time to dedicate to a group. I want real challenges, not just stay out of the fire. I want the game to push my limits of how I play my character and force my friends and I to think outside the box.

I want to be my own unique snowflake. I want to design my class around how I want to play it. If I want to specialize at something I want to be better than someone who is balancing out their skills, but I want us to both have a viable place in a group setting.

I want the game to feel like a world and not a game. I want to feel as though I belong here, that what I do makes a difference and that I am a part of the community. I don’t want to play an EQ, WoW, AoC, WAR, or DAoC clone. I want to play a new game that has taken these ideas and improved upon them. I just don’t know what that game is.

No comments:

Post a Comment