Wednesday, November 4, 2009

The rich get richer

I had a whole other post ready to go but I’m excited. When I was level 15 and began crafting I set a goal for myself. My goal was to make 1,000,000 Kinah by the time I hit level 30. The key was that I didn’t want to make it by farming or quest turn in’s or hoping for random world drops. I wanted my primary income to come from crafting. The entire reason for this was in WoW I had to do Daily Quests to pay for my enchants, gems, and repairs. I hated daily quests but I never studied the Auction House enough to make a real profit off it. I was going to change that in Aion.

After 27 levels and 255 skill points in Alchemy I finally reached the one million mark. Sure it wasn’t all from crafting, but the vast majority of it was. I would estimate that 85% of my current net worth is from crafting and buying/selling on the Broker. I built a spread sheet with all the Reagents needed for the potions I could make and figured how much profit could be made off each one. I then set a minimum I would sell potions for along with a maximum I would pay for the reagents. This enabled me to keep my profit at a maximum without having to redo my figures every time the market changed; it also kept me competitive at all times.

Someone once told me that it’s easy to make money when you have money. I use to think it was just a poor man’s ideology of the grass is always greener but now I see otherwise. This morning when I logged on I did my normal searches on the broker looking for reagents to make my potions. To my shock I found one reagent being sold for 1/3 of the normal going rate. Now the thing that would have normally stopped me from buying all these is the fact that the reagents were being sold is such a large quantity stack that it would cost half of my current kinah to buy it, just this one stack.

I bought it. I bought the entire stack and a few other small stacks being sold for the same price. I then broke the large stack up into smaller stacks of 20 and listed them on my 3 characters for 2.5 times what I paid for them. If I hadn’t planned ahead on making so much kinah early on, and leveling up selling alts I never would have been able to pull this off.

By now I will have sold all the reagents I listed, because even the price I listed them at is under what the current price has been the last 4 days. When all is said in done I should have about 2 million kinah tonight when I go home and log on, effectively doubling my entire net worth in 24 hours.

Just because I’m crafting items doesn’t make me money in the Aion economy. Crafting permits me a constant presence in the economy and keeps me informed of the typical prices of certain items. This knowledge has given me the ability to recognize when an item is being sold for so cheap I could flip it, or when to avoid buying inflated reagents.

No comments:

Post a Comment