Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Warhammer and the pit in my stomach

This game stirs so many mixed feelings, the strongest being frustration. I sit at my desk at look at what Mythic has created. Warhammer really is, at its core, a very good game. Mythic did a good job. The game had the hype and the name to make it a success. The problem was that it never came to fruition. I’m giving Warhammer another try.

Back in July of 2008 my friend gave me his Beta key to Warhammer. I played it like a rabid animal. At the time I was easily described as a fan boy. No one could say anything negative about it without hearing my wrath. As time went on I got these little pits in my stomach, like something was wrong but I couldn’t put my finger on it. I kept telling myself, “It’s only Beta, they are holding the great stuff back”. That floated me through to launch.

At launch I was so enamored by the games sparkle and hype I didn’t complain about the little things. Lag, UI issues, mail server lag, they didn’t matter. I was playing WAR and that is all that mattered. I told myself “It’s launch, everyone has issues at launch.” As time crept on those pits grew again. Until one day in December I couldn’t take it anymore. I logged off and canceled my account. I went back to WoW.

Fast forward 3 months. The Choppa has been released, my preferred class pre launch. This last week I have played on a friends account to discover if I really want to come back. Today I’m going to log on and make myself a Choppa. My problem is that I’m not doing this with a clear conscious. This past week has shown to me that Mythic has not fixed any of the server associated issues that plagued it 3 months ago.

This lends me to feel frustrated. It’s like seeing something that is plain as day, and being the only one who sees it. I could yell and scream but it would only fall on deaf ears. I know everyone feels this way but if I could sit down with Mythic for 1 day I could hammer out 90% of the issues that have kept me and some of my friends away.

That is why I’m frustrated. I know that WAR could be more popular, that I could love it and despite all that knowing that you won’t because the people in charge don’t know your voice. I like to think of myself as a very level headed person, seeing both sides of any argument is often my flaw in life. I see this games lacking balance with ease and know the correct paths to improve upon it.

I’ve resubscribed for a month but I doubt I will stay on past that. I’m already looking forward to Keen’s impressions of Darkfall. I’ve played Age of Conan and Warhammer Online, it surely can’t let me down anymore than they have.

No comments:

Post a Comment